Jobs By Location
- France Jobs 1124
- Germany Jobs 174
- United Kingdom Jobs 106
- Netherlands Jobs 99
- Australia Jobs 82
- Romania Jobs 45
- Canada Jobs 39
- Belgium Jobs 32
- Italy Jobs 32
- Poland Jobs 30
- United States Jobs 26
- India Jobs 24
- Singapore Jobs 16
- Portugal Jobs 16
- Mexico Jobs 15
- Czechia Jobs 13
- Spain Jobs 10
- Austria Jobs 9
- Hong Kong SAR Jobs 8
- Norway Jobs 5
- Brazil Jobs 5
- Israel Jobs 4
- Switzerland Jobs 4
- South Africa Jobs 3
- Japan Jobs 3
- Sweden Jobs 3
- Thailand Jobs 2
- China Jobs 2
- South Korea Jobs 2
- Denmark Jobs 2
- United Arab Emirates Jobs 1
- Taiwan Jobs 1
- Philippines Jobs 1
- New Zealand Jobs 1
- Colombia Jobs 1
Jobs By Category
- Bid & Project Management Jobs 86
- Communications Jobs 2
- Customer Service Jobs 114
- Finance Jobs 18
- General Management Jobs 1
- Hardware Jobs 227
- HSE, Real Estate, Security, Personal Assistance & Medical Welfare Jobs 39
- Human Resources Jobs 15
- Industry Jobs 149
- Legal & Contracts Jobs 16
- Purchasing Jobs 22
- Quality & Customer Satisfaction Jobs 15
- Software - IS/IT & Cybersecurity Jobs 758
- Strategy, Marketing, Sales Jobs 78
- Systems Engineering Jobs 400
- Thales e-Security Worldwide Jobs 5
Full time, Regular Employment
Thales people architect solutions that enable two-thirds of planes to take off and land safely. We create in-flight entertainment systems that engross 50 million fliers every year and we develop the avionics that control the world’s largest commercial aircrafts. Our simulators train the next generation of pilots for fighter jets, transporters and search and rescue helicopters. And, together, each and every member of our aerospace team makes a difference.
Together we offer fantastic opportunities for committed employees to learn and develop their career with us. At Thales UK, we research, develop, and supply technology and services that impact the lives of millions of people each day to make life better, and keep us safer. We innovate across five major industries; Aerospace, Defence, Ground Transportation, Security and Space. Your health and well-being matters to us and that’s why we offer you the flexibility to do what’s important to you; whether that’s part time hours, job sharing, home working, or the ability to flex your start and finish times. Where possible, we support a working pattern that suits your lifestyle and helps you reach your ambitions.
Primary Purpose of the role
- To work as part of a multi-disciplinary team of engineers, to design, prove and maintain high quality, electronic engineering in accordance with company requirements and processes to meet project operational requirements.
- To create and perform mechanical analysis (structural and thermal ) and suitably present this back to the project team.
- To create electro-mechanical designs and manufacturing data packs for a variety of products.
- To have flexibility to adjust skill set used depending on the product lifecycle stage.
- The role will require good communication skills, to build a solid network within the wider Thales community thus enabling to deliver electro-mechanical designs with a high level of quality, manufacturability and performance robustness in a timely manner
Key tasks and responsibilities
- Theoretical assessment of the design and its associated requirements to ensure that equipment performance requirements are met, including structural, dynamic and thermal analyses.
- Design and maintain electro/mechanical assemblies to industry standard techniques, ensuring consideration for DFx, (assembly, test, manufacture), have been made.
- Support the projects with presentations and technical reports to ensure certification analysis can be quantified for both new designs and continued product support across a range of projects in the fields of Flight Avionics (FLX).
- Design with project requirements management (electro/mechanical) in mind in particular size, weight and power and cost (SWaP+Cost) and provide guidance on the subject.
- Provide Rough order of magnitude (ROM) estimates in advance of final data being available (Eg Bids)
- Provide estimates for assigned tasks, and highlight any differences against original estimate and/or if ‘required date’ cannot be met.
- Responsible for completing Mechanical designs in accordance with agreed project time, cost, quality and performance requirements.
- Maintain task register for assigned tasks, including, adding comments/ status updates and moving task status in a timely manner.
- Working with Electronic/ RF Engineers and PCB Layout Engineers to concurrently-engineer the mechanical CAD to electronics CAD aspects of the design.
- Creation and maintenance of Product Defining Data packs
- Undertaking Engineering Changes involving mechanical engineering, updating appropriate documentation required by the change process.
- Liaising closely with mechanical, electronic, electrical and industrial engineers to create robust designs
- Acting as a PEER reviewer (simple to complex designs).
- Comply with local and company processes and procedures (supported by the Thales Engineering team)
- Contributing to continual process improvement within Hardware Engineering
- Designated Mechanical sign off
- Independent Reviewer of Mechanical Designs within Thales
- Mechanical Change Control Board (CCB) Representative
- Airworthiness Occurrence Incident Committee (AOIC) - Mechanical Representative
Essential and Desirable Skills/Experience/Qualifications
- HND in a mechanical engineering subject (or equivalent, including relevant working experience)
- Create and run Stress Analysis, present to project team and support the project design lifecycle, creation of final report.
- Experienced Reviewer for Stress and Thermal Analysis and mechanical design.
- Extensive experience of using 3D CAD (preferably using PTC Creo) and data pack creation.
- Good engineering knowledge of materials and finishes
- Appreciation of the fundamentals of electro-mechanical, digital, analogue, RF, Safety, Human Factors and Ergonomics engineering
- Knowledge of designing for harsh environments to DO-160
- PC Literate: Windows, MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio
- Good understanding of BS 8888 and associated ISO Standards
- Min of 15+ years industry experience in Mechanical Engineering role
- Membership and professional registration with IET / iMeche (or equivalent)
- Create and run thermal analysis, present to project team and support the project design lifecycle, creation of final report
- Knowledge of Civil / Military Aviation requirements and DO-254.
- Experience in Change Control creation.
- Experienced in mentoring less experienced Engineers
- Design for the full product life cycle from requirements through to long term support
- Experience of Mechanical CAD - Electronics CAD transfer
- Understanding of Model Based Definition / Industry 4.0
- PTC Pro/Engineer / Creo Simulate
- ANSYS Spaceclaim/IcePAK
- PDMLink / Windchill
- AutoCAD (Legacy support)
- DOORS – Requirements capture
- JIRA task management
- Applicants must be eligible for UK Security Clearance
- Decision making authority and other relevant information
- Authority as laid out in the Company policy and procedures
- Conformance required with appropriate quality standards and procedures.
In line with Thales' Baseline Security requirements, candidates will be asked to provide evidence of identity, eligibility to work in the UK and employment and/or education history for up to three years. Some vacancies may require full Security Clearance which can require further evidence to be provided. For further details of the evidence required to apply for Baseline and Security Clearance please refer to the Defence Business Services National Security Vetting (DBS NSV) Agency.
At Thales we provide CAREERS and not only jobs. With Thales employing 80,000 employees in 68 countries our mobility policy enables thousands of employees each year to develop their careers at home and abroad, in their existing areas of expertise or by branching out into new fields. Together we believe that embracing flexibility is a smarter way of working. Great journeys start here, apply now!
< Go Back to results