Jobs By Location
- France Jobs 513
- Germany Jobs 95
- Netherlands Jobs 93
- Australia Jobs 65
- Singapore Jobs 40
- United Kingdom Jobs 35
- Canada Jobs 35
- Italy Jobs 34
- Spain Jobs 24
- Belgium Jobs 24
- Romania Jobs 20
- United States Jobs 16
- Austria Jobs 13
- Poland Jobs 12
- Mexico Jobs 11
- Portugal Jobs 10
- Hong Kong SAR Jobs 8
- Colombia Jobs 7
- Switzerland Jobs 6
- Thailand Jobs 5
- Philippines Jobs 5
- China Jobs 5
- Norway Jobs 3
- Brazil Jobs 3
- India Jobs 2
- Japan Jobs 2
- Denmark Jobs 2
- Egypt Jobs 1
- Finland Jobs 1
- Vietnam Jobs 1
- Taiwan Jobs 1
- Sweden Jobs 1
- Czechia Jobs 1
Jobs By Category
- Bid & Project Management Jobs 72
- Communications Jobs 3
- Customer Service Jobs 89
- Finance Jobs 35
- General Management Jobs 1
- Hardware Jobs 100
- HSE, Real Estate, Security, Personal Assistance & Medical Welfare Jobs 50
- Human Resources Jobs 10
- Industry Jobs 107
- Legal & Contracts Jobs 12
- Purchasing Jobs 13
- Quality & Customer Satisfaction Jobs 14
- Software - IS/IT & Cybersecurity Jobs 304
- Strategy, Marketing, Sales Jobs 49
- Systems Engineering Jobs 235
- Thales e-Security Worldwide Jobs 1
System Engineering Manager
Full time, Regular Employment
Thales people architect solutions that are relied upon to deliver operational advantage at every decisive moment throughout the mission. Defence and armed forces customers rely on us to deliver the full range of defensive systems for land, sea, and air. From early warning, to threat neutralisation, our platforms cover all levels from very short-range systems, to extended protection across the entire battle-space including Airspace Mobility Solutions, Vehicles and Tactical Systems and Missile Defence, Optronics, and Radar.
Together we offer fantastic opportunities for committed employees to learn and develop their career with us. At Thales UK, we research, develop, and supply technology and services that impact the lives of millions of people each day to make life better, and keep us safer. We innovate across five major industries; Aerospace, Defence, Ground Transportation, Security and Space. Your health and well-being matters to us and that’s why we offer you the flexibility to do what’s important to you; whether that’s part time hours, job sharing, home working, or the ability to flex your start and finish times. Where possible, we support a working pattern that suits your lifestyle and helps you reach your ambitions.
Primary Purpose of the Role:
Thales teams deliver cutting-edge solutions to defence and aerospace companies the world over. We are Europe’s number one supplier of defence electronics and a leading provider of integrated air defence systems. Our people work with incredibly advanced technology building, e.g. armoured vehicles that resist the full rigours of battlefield conditions, avionics that control some of the world’s most iconic military aircraft. Recently in Belfast, a burgeoning application area is that of space-borne satellite technology. Together, our people make the world safer
An opportunity has arisen within our engineering group for a Systems Engineering/Engineering/Project Manager who can apply their experience and skills leading a multidiscipline team, designing and developing innovative technical solutions that meet our customer requirements and business needs. The role covers all aspects of the solution and product lifecycle, from requirements capture and analysis through system specification, concept studies, modelling and simulation, design and development, system integration, validation and qualification.
Key Responsibilities and Tasks:
- Defining and delivering the strategy, plan, costing and implementation of the overall engineering solution ensuring that the engineering activities are managed, within constraints, through the lifecycle of the project from detailed requirement generation, development, integration to verification and validation.
- Directing and providing overall technical and engineering leadership to the team to deliver the engineering solution to time, cost and quality, managing design decisions and resolution of conflicts.
- Ensuring the timely and accurate production of the Requirements for the System and Subsystems and ensuring that IVVQ and sell-off of the requirements is planned, documented and achieved in a progressive and low risk manner.
- Ensuring that the design and technical certification is planned, co-ordinated, complete and coherent and provided for business approval and delivery.
- Plan, manage and coordinate the whole engineering activities within the constraints provided by the agreed architecture and design policy in order to satisfy requirements.
- Define Work Breakdown Structures, Organisation Breakdown Structures and associated tasks, tailoring the development process and ensuring achievement of the development baselines (functional, allocated and product);
- Define and tailor the engineering environment, optimising the technical work against costs, schedule and risks from design to validation and acceptance of the solution;
- Supporting the Programme Manager in proactively managing Risks & Opportunities during the development, integration and qualification phases, guarantees programme commitments, including those flown down to subcontractors and partners.
The role will require proven experience of and participation in one or more of the following activities:
- Managing the development and validation of innovative and cost effective solutions and their architectures which meet the design requirements within the constraints of the programme budget and schedule
- Managing engineering delivery across multiple disciplines acting as focal point for the resolution of all issues, problems, questions and conflicts across engineering activities.
- Evaluating system requirements and establishing the feasibility and design approach within area of expertise.
- Specifying system design criteria within area of expertise, particularly with respect to performance, engineering features, interfaces and testing requirements
- Monitoring and analysing technical progress to ensure compliance against the design requirements and schedules.
- Preparation of technical reports, development specifications and test documentation
- Ensuring compliance to related design processes and procedures
- Working with sub-contractors and customers to agree design specifications
- Communicating at all levels in the spoken and written word to senior management, staff, customers and stakeholders.
The role will require proven skills in one or more of the following activities:
- Engineering leadership of a multidisciplinary engineering team.
- Ability to build and sustain good working relationships and work closely in teams, with colleagues, managers, customers and stakeholders.
- Effective personal organisation with an ability to remain composed and focused under pressure.
- Knowledge of relevant development lifecycles
- Requirements capture, analysis, decomposition/dissemination and management.
- Ability to develop innovative and low risk practical engineering approaches and strategies to manage a complex project through its lifecycle.
- Cost and schedule planning of engineering activities.
- Managing a project through systems requirements analysis and development, architecture design and development through to Integration, Verification, Validation and Qualification (IVVQ) of the solution.
- Design change and configuration control.
- Ability to manage a project through a process, tailoring the governance to business needs.
- Ability to understand and manage occurring multi-discipline technical issues and drive resolution.
- Strong analytical skills supporting logical, effective and timely decision making.
- Ability to engage with key stakeholders throughout the project lifecycle.
Minimum educational requirements
You will have a Bachelor Degree (BEng, BSc) in a Numerate, Scientific or Engineering subject or Higher Education/equivalent training and experience. Masters Degree (Meng, MSc) or postgraduate level in Engineering, Physics or Mathematics-related subject is also an advantage.
This role requires enhanced security clearance to secret (SC) level. Candidates will be required to meet the criteria and seek Defence Vetting Agency clearance, which will be sponsored by Thales. For eligibility criteria, please refer to the Defence Vetting Agency website.
In line with Thales' Baseline Security requirements, candidates will be asked to provide evidence of identity, eligibility to work in the UK and employment and/or education history for up to three years. Some vacancies may require full Security Clearance which can require further evidence to be provided. For further details of the evidence required to apply for Baseline and Security Clearance please refer to the Defence Business Services National Security Vetting (DBS NSV) Agency.
At Thales we provide CAREERS and not only jobs. With Thales employing 80,000 employees in 68 countries our mobility policy enables thousands of employees each year to develop their careers at home and abroad, in their existing areas of expertise or by branching out into new fields. Together we believe that embracing flexibility is a smarter way of working. Great journeys start here, apply now!
< Go Back to results